Last Saturday, 15Nov08, Melvin and I went to the Real Salt Lake Soccer Game. Melvin has been wanting to go for a while and since it was the Western Conference Finals against the NY Red Bulls, I got him some tickets. We had Grandma Weiland watch the girls and had a really good time.

I have never been to a big sporting event like this (with the exception of family night at the Royals stadium when I was like 10 year old.). I never even went to any football or basketball games at BYU so this was entirely new, but really fun. Melvin would like to get season tickets.

I was surprised how people came dressed for the game. There was a man in front of us who wore a crown and a royal robe. He was also wearing a RSL jersey underneath. In the pic you can see the back of him. There was another man behind us who attached a feather boa to a RSL towel and wore it as a cape. We didn't get a picture of him, Melvin had to discreetly turn around and see him after I spotted it. Most people just wore jerseys or scarves. We actually bought a couple for ourselves.
I have heard heckling before but never outside of a Ricks College arena. Obviously at Ricks, there was no swearing or crude language. Again, this was entirely different, but I won't go into details.

We bought some pizza and drinks while there. They only sold 20 ounce plastic bottles and took the lids off when giving them to us. I thought this was weird and Melvin told me that back in Honduras, if people have the lids, they will sometimes urinate in the empty bottles, put the lids back on and throw them on the field. Yuck. At Rio Tinto Stadium, the fans threw a bunch of other items on the field: streamers, little soccer balls, and smoke bombs.

NY Red Bull scored once early on and RSL made a ton of attempts at goal but didn't score once. Several hit the goalpost. It was really fun to watch the many attempts. Unfortunately RSL lost to NY 0-1. As many of you probably know, Melvin loves to watch soccer on TV. I don't but seeing the game live was totally fun and I am sure we will go again, if not with season tickets.
No comments:
Post a Comment